Last week I finished a small wall quilt. The pattern is called Tillie, designed by Jeanneke. She has made a lot of very cute doll quilts.
The middle part is a printed panel, the border is patchwork. I quilted around all figures on the panel, and then filled the empty spaces with 1 x 1 cm diamonds. You can read more about this traditional quilt here.
For my birthday, I received four fat quarters from a member of our quilting bee, two blue, one white and one brown.
Another bee member gave me a very cute pattern for a doll quilt, called Tillie (designed by Jeanneke). The original looks like this:
I decided to enjoy both presents at once, and started working on this pattern using the fabrics I received, supplemented with some more blue, white and brown fabrics. I also added some pink to make it look a bit softer. So far I have nearly finished the centre part:
With these colours it looks quite different from the original, which has a more traditional feel to it. The pattern is really nice to work on, the pieces are very small but that also means it comes together quickly. And it’s only a few repetitions, so it doesn’t get boring. The star blocks measure about 5 cm (2 inches) across.
I was happy to find a centre panel in exactly the right colours at Den Haan & Wagenmakers in Amsterdam.
Currently I’m lying on the couch with a bad cold, the upside of which is that I don’t have anything on my mind but petting the cat, drinking hot water and do some stitching (besides coughing and blowing my nose about 300 times per day). So I hope to get this finished soon!
A few weeks ago I ordered some of the cutest Halloween fabrics:
I’m using the fabrics for two quilt projects. The first is a quick & easy lap quilt, simply joining 15 x 15 cm bloks with black sashings. Is it currently being sandwiched:
The second project is my first attempt at appliqué. It is going to be a small wall hanging, depicting a house on a hill surrounded by pumpkins and plants. I’m using the lighter ‘ghost fabric’ for the background:
The round shapes of the pumpkins are a bit challenging, but I hope to be able to adjust some of the wonkyness by adding a bit of embroidery here and there later…
By the way, Teresa Kogut has designed some very nice needlepunch patterns, especially for Halloween and Christmas, check them out here. I really have to try that some time…
Last year I started on a small Christmas wallquilt, but only the piecing was ready on Christmas day. Since I didn’t find it very inspiring to work on a Christmas quilt in January, I decided I would finish it next year. So at the beginning of this December I dug it up from my sewing room and enjoyed working on it again. The scenes on the quilt are so romantic, I bought the fabric at a Dickens Festival and it really matches the feeling of A Christmal Carol.
The quilting is only very basic, so I wanted to add something extra and gave it a finishing touch of gold paint on the stars and binding. I like the result, the paint gives the plain stars a bit of depth (to be seen on the lower 3 pictures). The uppermost picture shows the original fabric, which had a bright red colour surrounding the scenes. I didn’t like that and bordered them with black fabric.
My creative life started with embroidery, soon followed by crochet and knitting. I had many women around me, foremost my mother and grandmothers, who could teach me everything. But quilting is less well known in my country. It got my interest after reading a novel in which a group of women came together to quilt. It sounded wonderful, I went out to the library to look for more information, and started quilting. The funny thing is that over the last year, it now was my turn to teach a craft to my mother! She has recently finished her first pachwork top, and last weekend I showed her how to quilt it.
The only thing about quilting that fools me again and agian is how much work it is to make a quilt! I do everything by hand and since I’m not so fast, even the smallest quilt is taking me forever. The quilt I currently would like to be finished the most is the ‘Palempore quilt’.
It doesn’t look like much work, does it? The whole middle panel was bought as it is, the only thing I had to add were these:
But the quilting took much more time, I worked precisely around each flower and leave on the panel. The only thing left to do now is the quilting of diagonal lines over the white parts of the panel. But I have to admit, what really causes the lengthy period it takes to finish a quilt like this, are all the distractions… so many other things that I want to make!
A few words about the name of this quilt: ‘Palempore’. Although quilting is not particularly well-known today in my country, it does have a long history. The antique quilt in the book below is where I got my inspiration from. It’s dated 18th century, when colourful, printed cottons (chintz) from Asia were very popular. Panels of this kind (usually much larger to make bed coverings) were called palempores.
I’m afraid it will still take some more time before this quilt is finished…