Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘wool’

     Inkle loom woven bandToday I finished weaving a 6 m long band. Nice and colourful, isn’t it? I will use it for decorating a re-enactment Viking coat. Two of the three colours I dyed myself with plant material: red with madder roots and yellow with onion skins. I really enjoyed the dying process, it is so much fun to see beautiful colours appearing from simple plant material.

I especially liked dying with onion skins, they are easy to collect during daily cooking and give wonderful colours. This golden yellow was  obtained by heating the wool in water with 100% of the wool’s weight in onion skins, dyed for only 30 minutes at maximum 90°C (the wool was first mordanted with 15% alum). After that I felt sorry to throw away the onion skin ‘soup’ that still had so much colour, so I threw in a second skein of wool. This one was not  pre-treated with alum, and I heated it for about two hours (at max. 90°C) and let it cool in the dye pot until the next day. It turned out more orange-brownish compared to the first one.

Wool dyed with onion skins

Onion skins – madder roots – onion skins:

Wool dyed with plants

I am planning to buy an inkle Inkle weavingloom, but for now I simply weave by tying one end of the warp threads to a fixed point and the other end to my belt, with the heddle in between. I do look forward to buying an inkle loom though, as it is hard to keep the tension right, especially of the outermost warp threads.

For this specific band, I needed warp threads of 7.5 m long. I cut them, wound each on a paper roll, and hang them on a stick, so that I could slowly pull and make a braid. This braid was untied bit by bit as I wove.

Warp threads inkle loom weaving

The weaving pattern was designed with help of the pattern generator that I’ve linked to before. These graphs show the order of the warp threads and the final pattern:

Inkle loom patternInkle loom pattern

Inkle loom weaving band

I hope to show pictures of the end result soon, when the band is sewed onto my coat.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

As I mentioned in the last post, I used some leftover yarn for the baby cardigan. Today I’ll show you the other project that was made with this yarn. It’s a vest made for myself, and it’s a combination of two patterns. For the shape of it, I followed the directions of the Blush pattern by Kessa. The colourwork is from the Fresco colorwork wrap vest by Veronik Avery.

I like how it turned out, but if I were to knit this again, I would add some waist shaping and maybe start with a few less stitches. Now that I’ve worn it a couple of times, the fabric has stretched a bit and I liked it more with some negative ease. Nevertheless I would surely recommend the Blush pattern, one could do so many things with it when adding different colour charts!

 

Read Full Post »

Finished the baby cardi today. It was my admirable intention to use up some stash for this project, because -as any knitter- I’m gaining more and more yarn. From an earlier project I had some blue and white Karisma left over, which I thought would be great for this baby shower gift. Long story short: with just half a sleeve left to be knitted, I ran out of wool and had to buy a new skein – so after finishing I ended up with the new blue skein still nearly complete and one white skein untouched. Well, let’s look at it from the bright side, that’s one skein less than I started with…

The pattern is from Garnstudio again. I’m really fond of Scandinavian knitting. Four little deer on the front, four on the back. It’s just cute!

Read Full Post »